Friday, June 29, 2012

Free Pattern Friday - Reusable Crochet Cotton Facial Scrubbies


Do you like my new segment? Free Pattern Friday! I like the sound of that. Today I'll be sharing how I made my reusable cotton facial scrubbies! I use these for removing my makeup, washing my face, and applying astringent or essential oils to my face. They are 100% cotton, washable, and SO easy to make. You'll see.



Crochet Cotton Facial Scrubbies
Pattern by Ashley Ludlow

What you’ll need:
  • ·         4-ply worsted weight 100% cotton yarn
  • ·         Size J or 6.00 MM crochet hook (you can use any size hook you’d like!)
  • ·         Yarn needle
  • ·         Scissors


What stitches you’ll need to know:
  • ·         ch – chain
  • ·         sl st – slip stitch
  • ·         puff st – puff stitch (y/o, hook into the st, y/o, pull through and lift up – leave some slack, y/o, hook into the same st, y/o, pull through and lift up, y/o, hook into the same st, y/o, pull through and lift up, y/o, pull through all loops on the hook, secure with ch)


Instructions:

ch 3, sl st in first ch of the row to create a loop
*optional – pull yarn tail behind the hook and align with the loop so you can crochet over the top of it.




 Rnd 1) ch 1, 8 puff st in center loop (see how to do the puff stitch above in BOLD), sl st into the space between the 1st and 2nd puff stitches.














Rnd 2) ch 1, 2 puff st in same space, 2 puff st in next ch space and in between every puff stitch from the previous round (16 puff st), sl st into the space between the 1st and 2nd puff stitches of that round, finish off and tie or sew in the ends.



See? How easy was that?






You can make these in any color or size you want! Have fun with it. 

Have a great weekend!
-Ash




31 comments:

Anonymous said...

would i be able to make some of these to sell?

Ashley Kaye said...

Sure! Feel free to sell what you make from this pattern. But, please don't claim it as your own, and please don't sell the pattern itself. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern! These are really nice.

Lady Venus said...

Would it be possible for you to make a video of this? im trying to teach myself to crochet and it helps for me to see it. I want to make these so badly!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea for stocking stuffers for my girls. Thank you for sharing this pattern.

Mindee Hofheins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smiley said...

I totally LOVE this idea. I have tried to think of ways you could have reusable "cotton balls". By golly this is such a great alternative. My kids call me the recycle nazi. I love this! No more cotton ball trash! Now if there was a way to make reusable Q-tips. I don't think I will ever be able to give them up! Thank you for sharing this.

LizardsWish said...

This is a great gift to give to someone along with an inexpensive facial soap or a nice bottle of soap. I made some small wash cloths and put them in with a box of Calgon to a friend of mine.

Fame Babcock said...

I need to learn the puffy stitch to do these (I can't read patterns to save my life), but I will definitely be adding these to my list of crochet accomplishments. Thanks so much for sharing!

Mindee Hofheins said...

How many loops did you do on your puff stitches? :)

Anonymous said...

Making a few for my daughter and found a youtube video about the puff stitch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pHAP5R4PY

Thank you. Saves me a bunch of money. Especially since I already had everything on hand.

little Z said...

Thank you so much for sharing. These are the best! I blogged about your pattern: http://www.little-z.nl/2013/02/facial-scrubbies.html

Lizeth Alfaro said...

I love this! I whipped up three right away :) Thank-you for the pattern.

Patricija Seitter said...

Thank you :)

Vincent Delaunet said...

What a great idea ! Thank you !
Louise

Sarah said...

Love this pattern! I found you via Pinterest and boy am I glad! I made my puffs by starting with a "magic ring". This made it alot easier to see what I was doing on the first round and I found that my puff stitches turned out much more evenly because I wasn't trying to cram them in. There will be dozens of these in Christmas stockings this year! ;)

Mrs. Sewell said...

Made these today! Only thing I did differently was I did a magic loop to start instead of chaining 3. These are so fun!

Thanks for sharing the pattern!

Blessings!

Trisha Garcia said...

Loove these!

S. Tallman said...

Thank you so much for the pattern! My friend Sandra demonstrated it for me since I don't read a pattern very well yet, and I am anxious to make these for gifts! Question: How do you make a "magic ring" or "magic loop"?

Anonymous said...

This pattern is too hard to follow for me. You don't explain the puff stitch well enough and I don't know if you want 8 loops (1 puff stitch) or 8 puff stitches in the center ring. Also, I could only fit about 4 puff stitches in the center ring.

Nixa Coflek said...

Great idea! I made a few for a gift and here is the photo: http://avanturemalogacofleka.blogspot.com/ (link to your pattern is bellow it. I plan to make many - for family, friends and myself.

Debbie Fox said...

Thank you for sharing. The disposable pads just seem a waste and we go thru so many. Been looking for something like this. Will make a great gift for all my sisters, nieces, and nephews for face cleaning and nakeup remival for the gals.

Sharon Sumner said...

I loved your scrubbies so much, I wanted to create a basket with the puff stitch to hold them (7 - one for every day of the week.) I have posted the pdf file for the pattern. Everyone is welcome to use it. http://sharsumtek.net/kniche/Spa%20Basket.pdf

Thanks again for posting such an easy, usable pattern.

Ashley Kaye said...

Very cute!

As far as how many strands of yarn are in each puff, I used either 7 or 9. It depends on how puffy you want them :)

Anonymous said...

Coincidence?

http://whatyousowblog.tumblr.com/post/47616543222/crochet-cotton-pads

Alicia Haxton said...

By far the best facial scrubbies I have done. The thickness makes all the difference, I can't wait to give these as gifts along with some of my homemade bath goodies!

Nicole said...

Thanks for this! Found it on Pinterest ages ago and finally made one today. Had a tough time starting out until I watched a Youtube vid on the puff stitch and realized that your instructions say to make the first row of them INSIDE the loop. :)

Anonymous said...

This is the same pattern in the Molly makes issue #34.

Mary Doukakis said...

Thanks for sharing! Great, easy pattern. Would be nice in a spa basket with bath pouf, soap saver, washcloths, etc. Thanks again... Mary D.

marie bartels said...

Very cute! Thanks for sharing :)

poka said...

i think it funny that the anonymous person above keeps trying to make it sound like something was stolen from someone... looking at the dates on both sites ( the one they linked to and this one) this one here came out first by close to a year... just saying.